23 January 2022

Photo of Col WEBSTER with Bert and Flossie

Col Webster playing with Bert and Flossie, 2005
(photo by Judy Webster)

Favourite Photo is this week's theme for '52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks'. I chose this photo because it brings back many happy memories of my Dad (Col WEBSTER) and our beloved dogs Flossie (a Border Collie) and Bert (a Smithfield). They were both 'rescue dogs', and hugely important in our lives.

Dad was aged 86 when I took this photo at 'Taminga' (the 32-acre property near Fernvale, Queensland, to which Mum and Dad retired after they left Cunnamulla).

Flossie came to live there in 1998. Bertie joined us for Christmas 2002, when my sister Robyn was "just fostering him from the pound until New Year". (Haha - a likely story!) To nobody's surprise, they fell in love with each other and Bert became the newest member of our family.

That Christmas was rather entertaining. In three days, Bertie ate a chair, an outdoor sofa, two foam boxes, a mat, a dog bed, assorted garden tools, and several toys belonging to Flossie. He was only ten months old, so the chewing phase was in full swing, but thankfully it didn't last too long. And in his entire life, he never chewed a shoe!
This is my Week 3 post for 52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks. Amy Johnson Crow has challenged us to do something with the family history information that we've gathered. Even if I don't always stick to the suggested themes, I'll try to post something here each week. It may just be an 'On This Day' biographical snippet, or an extract from an interesting document, but anything is better than nothing!

(This post first appeared on https://judy-webster.blogspot.com/2022/01/photo-of-col-webster-with-bert-and.html)

2 comments:

  1. Hi Judy - I laughed out loud when I read about the chewing episode. I haven't heard of a Smithfield before. Googling it now of course. Gee we love our dogs don't we? What faithful hounds they are. A great photo for the challenge. I'm glad you've joined it too and will attempt to check in with you every week :) It's a great challenge. I'm getting lots done !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Alex. Yes, being a 'dog person' does bring great joy. Bertie used to get some strange looks because (like many Smithfields) he was born with no tail at all. Thanks for alerting me to the fact that you're also doing '52 Ancestors'. I'll be sure to have a look at your posts.

      Delete

To see my reply to your comment, tick Notify Me. If you think we are related, or if you want to comment but cannot do so here, please contact me at any address shown in the About Me tab or in the sidebar.