07 January 2022

Webster Family Origins: Yorkshire and Scotland?

Earliest known Websters as at January 2022
Pedigree chart showing our earliest known Websters
(ignore the numbers generated by my genealogy software)

My WEBSTER family allegedly left Aberdeen (Scotland) in 1745 ('because of the political troubles of the time') and settled in Yorkshire (England).

My 4xgreat-grandfather William WEBSTER (who married Elizabeth Harley PORTER) died in 1810 aged 44. He was in Southwark, Surrey, but as yet I don't know where he was born. William was a dyer.

His brother Henry WEBSTER, a drysalter, died in Leeds, Yorkshire, in or before 1813. One of the wills that I bought *proves* that William and Henry were brothers. It also proves that umpteen trees on Ancestry have the wrong birth/death years for William!

If you'd like to exchange information about this family, please email me at the address shown in the sidebar.

Sources include... (contact me for more detailed citations)

* Exchequer Court of York probate records.
* Freedom of the City admission papers, London, England.
* Non-conformist parish records, Leeds, Yorkshire (two versions of a burial register, plus a third volume that appears to be a register of graves).
* Newspaper death notices, Leeds, Yorkshire, England, 1823 and 1826.
* Birth, death and marriage certificates.
* Parish registers of baptism, marriage and burial.
* Private family papers, including letters written by a relative in England before 1903.
This is my Week 1 post for 52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks. Amy Johnson Crow has challenged us to do something with the family history information that we've gathered. Even if I don't always stick to the suggested themes, I'll try to post something here each week. It may just be an 'On This Day' biographical snippet, or an extract from an interesting document, but anything is better than nothing!

(This post first appeared on https://judy-webster.blogspot.com/2022/01/webster-family-origins-yorkshire-and.html)

2 comments:

  1. Hi Judy - your posts are lovely and succinct - unlike mine which seem to go on forever. Despite their succinctness (is that even a word??) I have lots of tabs open. Thank you for mentioning the Freedom of the City Admission papers. You've reminded me to follow up something with San Francisco. My great-grandfather was meant to be given freedom of the city there for having helped re-build the city after the earthquake. I need to track down documentation of that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How interesting about the connection to the San Francisco earthquake. It's always nice to learn about a relative's part in a major event in history. As for my succinctness... it's mainly due to having limited free time for blogging. :-)

    ReplyDelete

To see my reply to your comment, tick Notify Me. If you think we are related, or if you want to comment but cannot do so here, please contact me at any address shown in the About Me tab or in the sidebar.